Don’t Claim From Your Household Insurance Until You’ve Read This

Household Insurance typically refers to insurance that covers all the items in your house that you would take with you in a move. Depending on your insurer, this type of insurance could be combined with other relevant forms of home insurance, such as building insurance or motor insurance.

With household insurance, you can repair damages to your property and keep it feeling like home. Here’s how to claim from your household insurance.

What Does Your Household Insurance Cover?

There’s a lot that can be covered under the benefits of motor and household insurance. While elements of building insurance and household contents insurance are thought to fall under household insurance, this article looks at household insurance as household contents insurance. As such, these are the items likely to be covered under a household insurance policy:

  • Furniture (including carpets, rugs, and paintings)
  • Appliances (fridge, microwave, vacuum cleaner, television, etc.)
  • Clothing
  • Linen
  • Personal possessions (clothing, watches, glasses, jewellery, sports equipment, etc.)

When Can You Claim From Your Household Insurance Policy?

While there are many options available and every policy is different, there are certain criteria that specify damages that most home and building insurance policies would cover:

  • Fire
  • Explosion
  • Landslide
  • Lightning
  • Flood/Water
  • Hail
  • Earthquake
  • Burglary/Theft
  • Malicious damage/Vandalism
  • Power surge
  • Accidental damage

It should be noted that normal wear and tear of household items is not covered by a household insurance policy.

Instances In Which A Home Insurance Claim May Be Rejected

  • Your household insurance is unlikely to cover damage caused by pets, such as soiling, tearing, denting, or otherwise defacing your property.
  • If you run a bed and breakfast (or another business) out of your home, the appliances in those rooms are excluded from your household cover policy. Speak to your insurance provider about what options are available for your home-based business, similar to commercial property insurance.
  • Not all theft claims are covered. You will only be paid out if you can prove forcible or violent entry to the property.
  • Your home insurance provider will be reluctant to pay out your claim, if there is an indication of poor property maintenance resulting in damage that could have been avoided, such as insect damage, bird or rodent damage, rust, rot, mould, and general wear and tear.
  • Damage to your property caused by roots or weeds is not covered.
  • Chipping of sanitaryware, wall or floor tiles, or paving is not covered.
  • A lack of sufficient security measures in the home can also impact your claim and your premiums.
  • Your insurance provider may be reluctant to pay out a claim, if your house is left unoccupied for a significant period of time.
  • In the instance of a power outage, things like food spoilage would not be covered.